Olive & Olive is proud to have a highly-qualified
team of professionals, who collectively have worked at
our firm for over fifty years, assisting our attorneys.
< Back to Our Team
- Shelia L. Alexander is a graduate of Durham Technical Institute (A.A.S., Secretarial Science, high honors). She has over 20 years of legal experience in prosecution and maintenance of federal and state trademark and patent applications. She also has past work experience with state and federal government, banking and non-profit groups. Ms. Alexander has been a licensed North Carolina Notary for over 20 years.
- Sara E. Bent is a legal assistant for the litigation team. She has provided litigation support for Olive & Olive since July 2016. A graduate of Wake Technical Community College (Criminal Justice) and of Campbell University (Criminal Justice, Magna Cum Laude). She also has past investigative experience in retail as well as office support for law firms in downtown Raleigh. She is a part of the North Carolina Bar Association Paralegal Division. She is originally from New York and has lived in North Carolina for 14 years. She has a passion for classic and current film. She boxes, runs and weightlifts in her spare time.
- Joseph T. Blackley, Jr. is a graduate of Durham Industrial
Education Center (A.D., Drafting and Design
Technology) and of Durham Technical Institute
(A.A.S., Paralegal Technology, high honors). In
addition to his paralegal work in all areas of the
firm’s practice, with a focus on patents, he is
the firm’s chief draftsman and supervises the
technical drawings required for the firm’s patent
and trademark applications and litigation, and also
serves as the firm’s Assistant Administrator. He
is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s
Legal Assistants Division and is certified by the
North Carolina State Bar Board of Paralegal
- Laura E. Morey is a paralegal with ten years of legal experience in intellectual property, with a focus on patent prosecution, and works in the firm’s patent and trademark practices. She is a graduate of Wake Forest University (B.A. in English, magna cum laude, with honors) and The College of William and Mary (M.A. in English). She was previously employed in the fields of academic publishing and investment banking prior to beginning her career as a patent paralegal. A native of Pennsylvania, she has lived in North Carolina for the past twenty years after relocating from Boston. Laura is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Paralegal Division.
- Erin A. Rall has for over 20 years has worked in all areas of the firm’s practice, from trademark, copyright and patent applications and prosecution to contracts and litigation, but has a particular passion for, and focus on, protecting and enforcing our client’s rights. A graduate of Brown University (Mid-East Studies) with a focus on Islam and Islamic Law, Ms. Rall’s thesis for that degree focused on International Law and its applicability to Palestinians. She was one of the first North Carolina Certified Paralegals and an early member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Legal Assistants Division. She is the first and only legal assistant who has been honored to serve as president of the Durham Orange Women Attorneys and as Vice President of Durham’s Young Lawyers Division; and she also has served as a member of the Durham Bar Association’s Public Service Committee, as Vice Chair and CLE Chairs of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice (NCAJ) Small Office Practice Section, as a Liaison for the Commercial Litigation Section of NCAJ, as a member of the education, membership and ethics committees of NCAJ, and as a member of the education committee for the North Carolina Association of Women Attorneys. She remains active in all of the those bar organizations and is also a member of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Litigation, Intellectual Property, and Sports and Entertainment Law sections. She has been selected as an Advocate of the Educational Achievement Program of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice every year since inception of that recognition, and has been awarded NCAJ’s Order of Service during each of the past several years. She has taught numerous CLEs on topics including privacy law, e-discovery, Intellectual Property, ethics, law office management, and technology, for groups as varied as paralegal students, new lawyers, a local bar association, and state wide bar associations. She currently serves as chair of the NCAJ Legal Assistant’s Division.
- Jake Sullivan is a paralegal supporting Olive & Olive’s trademark group and domain practice. Jake is a 2005 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a 2008 graduate of the ABA-accredited Meredith College Paralegal Program, and a 2013 graduate of the University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center). He has a variety of experience in both public and private practice, having worked for government entities, law firms, and corporations. Jake’s coursework and employment during law school focused on intellectual property practice and included special focus on trademark prosecution and enforcement, as well as licensing. Prior to law school, Jake worked as a corporate trademark paralegal. His work at Olive & Olive includes assisting clients with trademark registration and maintenance, docketing, and domain portfolio management.
- Maria Sventek is a paralegal who joined Olive & Olive, PA bringing with her over 15 years of legal experience. Maria has worked extensively in the fields of litigation (including intellectual property disputes as well as other matters) both in private practice prior to and at Olive & Olive, and for the State of Arkansas, She is currently the lead paralegal on our Trademark Trial and Appel Board cases and works closely with Duke University, as well as other clients, to protect their trademarks. Maria also assists with the firm’s litigation matters. She is a member of the North Carolina Bar Association – Paralegal Division. Maria received her Paralegal Certification in 2002 from University of Little Rock School of Law. When she is not working or spending time with her husband and two boys, she is an avid Crossfitter and has competed in several competitions in Arkansas and North Carolina.